Tuesday, November 22, 2005

chomskying at the bit

For my World Issues term paper, I have been attempting to research free trade/globalization economics pretty deeply. I have found that all the pro~ books are solid economic texts by solid economists, which I in no way disagree with. All of the anti~ books are hyperbolically written, shakily defended, full of assumption and presumption, and coloured by heartstring-tugging anecdotal evidence.

The problem with economic books is that they focus on increases in aggregate wealth, and not in general welfare. It is acknowledged (and promptly glossed over, might I add) that an increase in aggregate wealth may not change the distribution, or may very easily affect the distribution negatively, leading to a negative impact in general welfare.

Being a bleeding-heart left-wing high-school humanist, I see this intentional, reluctantly admitted oversight as momentous. Yet, not a single anti~ person (so far as I have found) has written an objective, academic, economically solid book dealing with it. It seems that all we are capable of is venomous, ill-informed, economically and statistically weak propaganda sheets.

If I'm still thinking this way in a degree or two, I may be forced to take some economics classes and remedy this. If any of you find a book that addresses this well, please pass it on. Again, I'm a silly naive high-school student making broad assumptions based on limited knowledge and understanding; I'm vastly undereducated and underread, so I welcome help from better-qualified people.

Also, those people breaking windows in Seattle really weren't helping. They should read some books.

Listening: A French rapper and a jazz bassist - Un ange en danger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home