Monday, October 31, 2005

SEE EDIT DOWN TOWARD THE BOTTOM

People have wondered why I bother with all of this anonymity nonsense, when my identity is pretty freaking clear to any who know me. My reasoning is thus:

I'm some kid with a high school education. I know absolutely nothing about anything. On the basis of my very limited knowledge and gut intuition, I dare to choose, pronounce, and vigorously defend various opinions.
Based on my basic, undeveloped ideas of right and wrong, I know roughly where I stand on many issues; there are, however, people more knowledgeable than me who have put more thought than me into these issues, and until I am as one of them, I'm not going to pretend I have some intuitive link to the ultimate viewpoint.
With that in mind, it is conceivable, nay, likely, nay, inevitable that as I do learn more and think more about stuff in general, my views will change.

The first time you meet somebody and discuss something with them, you think their ideas through, consider them, weigh them carefully. In any subsequent encounters, however, you will to some degree or other view what they say as something that this person says. In many cases, this is so extreme that one's views are subconsciously discounted immediately by the plain fact that they came from a given person.
What sense does it make to wear out my credibility on the silly, rash, uninformed, undeveloped viewpoints of my silly, rash, uninformed childhood? Even later in life, however, I think I'd like to keep publishing anonymously. I lack the blind conviction and singlemindedness to fully 'believe in' any one given viewpoint, and I think I would suffocate in a typecast.

Well, there's that. This isn't a definitive reasoning; my thoughts about things like this (where by "things like this" I mean "everything") change significantly from day to day, and I cannot stand to be associated with basically anything I have done until I have achieved sufficient detachment to view it as the work of someone else. This, I suppose, is further explanation for my 'anonymity'.

Cheers,
He just goes on an' on An' onymous

EDIT:
Upon rereading, I figured out that I had forgotten to make my key point. The viewpoints I express here or pretty much anywhere, since I realize they are intellectual runts, are impermanent. For the sake of a discussion, I'll advocate basically whatever I feel like advocating, often the devil. Even if I seem to be earnest, candid, and stubborn, chances are I'm making it up as I go along, and it will change within a week, or a day, or perhaps an hour.
Deal with it.
I basically don't have opinions at the moment. I just have conversations and a vague view of roughly where I might decide to stand. It's tremendous fun. If you want to join my cult, give up all your worldy possessions and also buy me some milk at lunch.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

Life experiences do sound enriching and stuff. Maybe when you're walking along the spaceroad in the future, you will stumble upon this blog and conclude that you fully comprehend your viewpoints and such. That would be cool.

02 November, 2005 00:03  
Blogger Anonymous said...

By far my favourite part of that was my signature. It's worth totally ignoring the rest just to bask in the radiant glory of that freaking signature.

I can't even put one here, so pale and uninspired would it be by comparison.

07 November, 2005 07:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home