Sunday, June 04, 2006

Liebniz'd

I would have liked to have taken this opportunity to note for posterity that "teetotalitarian" was a word I invented. It was an awesome enough word that I liked to advertise this fact, and if it caught on that would have meant that I got into the Oxford. I hoped I had beaten everybody else to it. I also hoped nobody had invented it independently.

(Also covered is "teetotalitarianism", naturally.)

It's great because it has slipped into my natural lexicon. I use this word regularly. It is a very useful and usable word.

The reason I tell you this whole dreary story is because I Googled it today, and it turns out that many many people came up with it independently. I think I'll have to stop using it now.

4 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

What's worse, actually, is that I've been using this word for like two years, which is older than any of the Google hits. Plus if it had been in use longer, there would be more than 637 hits. So it is very possible that I did pioneer this verbal aberration. I just missed the boat on the most awesome invented word ever.

04 June, 2006 22:53  
Blogger Brendan McKendy said...

Perhaps the Internet scholars overhead you saying this word, in the first place.

It's like that time I invented saying "steal" instead of "borrow".

05 June, 2006 21:38  
Blogger Anonymous said...

And perhaps Newton made his discovery by means of a complex system of mirrors over Liebniz's shoulder?
What's your point?

It's not as if it's something hard to come up with - it just works really well.

Out of interest: "war of contrition" turns up nine hits, all of which appear to be typos of "attrition", which I think is perhaps better than having come up with it.

05 June, 2006 23:34  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Teetotattle-tale.

12 June, 2006 03:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home